The dangers of Acorns and Fungi for dogs

Acorns

Acorns
Poisoning from acorns is most likely to occur in the autumn months when these fruits have fallen to the ground. A one off feast of acorns is likely to cause vomiting, diarrhoea, both of which may be bloody, and may cause the dog to become sleepy. Eating acorns regularly may cause kidney or liver problems, while eating large amounts may cause an obstruction.

Fungi (Wild mushrooms or toadstools)
There are thousands of different fungi in the UK, in lots of different shapes, sizes, colour and how poisonous they are. Although some fungi may be fairly obvious to identify by appearance, it is incredibly difficult to identify the majority of wild mushrooms. Some fungi are edible, while others are extremely dangerous, and it’s not always easy to tell the difference between them.
Signs of poisoning may vary greatly depending on the type of fungi eaten, and could include stomach upset, blood in the stools or vomit, neurological effects such as hallucinations or fits, kidney or liver failure. The effects of a dog becoming ill from poisonous fungi can be vary also, i.e. ten minutes after eating the fungi, or it might be delayed by days, or even on very rare occasions by several weeks.

If your dog does eat an unknown wild mushroom, take them to the vets straight way and if possible, take a picture of the mushroom, or even better, a sample of the fungi in a paper bag rather than a plastic bag. Take note of the area where the fungi was found (i.e. was it growing in grass or on a tree stump) as this may help experts identify what fungi your dog has eaten should they become ill.

If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to call me for a chat or to book an appointment on 07896902642. I can also be reached by email .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *