How walking on gritted paths and roads can harm your pets …

Pretty Pups

What is Rock Salt?

Rock salt is a mixture of salt (sodium chloride) and grit, and is used to help de-ice roads in winter.

How does it harm my pet?

Pets can be harmed by ingesting the rock salt after a walk by licking their fur and pads when grooming themselves as it can be an irritation. Just a small amount of pure salt can be very dangerous to pets.

What are the symptoms of Rock Salt ingestion?

It can cause a high blood sodium concentration which can cause thirst, vomiting, lethargy, and in severe cases there is a risk of convulsions and kidney damage.

How can I best prevent ingestion during winter months?

It is really important to thoroughly wipe or ideally rinse your dogs feet and the fur on their legs and tummy after a walk outside. If they show any signs of discomfort after possible exposure to rock salt, use a mild, pet shampoo and warm water to wash the affected areas, and dry your dogs fur and pads completely with a towel after washing.

Should I contact my vet?

Any animal suspected of ingestion of rock salt must be assessed by a vet immediately. This is important as signs can be non-specific and a blood test will be required to check the blood sodium concentration. Immediate veterinary treatment will be needed to rehydrate the dog and stabilise their sodium levels.

If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to call me for a chat or to book an appointment on 07896902642. I can also be reached by email .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *